Friday, September 14, 2012

Un-employment vs UN-employable

garr.posterous.com

There is a famous Chinese proverb that says tell me I will forget, show me I will remember and Involve me I will understand. This in my opinion sums up the views of many urban youth in Windhoek Namibia who are studying and or seeking employment. The current situation in Namibia and I am sure in many parts of the world as well, is that to secure employment you need  work experience and to have a experience you need a job. As a result Many Urban youth that have graduated from the University of Namibia find it hard to enter the job market and usually end up working for themselves or doing jobs that pay anything.

thedrivenclass.com
Employers complain that training institutions do not equip students with the right skills and competencies needed; this is due to the fact that formal education focuses more on remembering theories and facts than actual applications in the real world.

blog.guiasenior.com
There is a simple solution to this dilemma the Namibian society needs to embrace a culture of apprenticeship and mentorships as a form of work based training. And government spending on education should support programs that adopt this method of education. To ensure that the right skills are transferred effectively to the urban youth matching the necessary competencies needed in the job market.

For more info on work-based training programs and alternative qualifications in namibia email me 
kalabamufrank@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Favorite post so far, great insight & commendable critique. Also, appreciate that you not only highlighted the problem, but provide possible solutions.

    ReplyDelete